This recipe is slightly different than others: the big reason is that I’m not going to provide specific portions. When making pesto, it’s actually more fun to experiment and mess around with the ingredients until it achieves a taste YOU enjoy.
Here’s the important stuff:
- Fresh basil leaves (a good amount, and preferably organic).
- Parmesan cheese (in block form).
- Olive oil.
- Pine nuts or hazel nuts.
- Throw your basil leaves and parmesan cheese, and garlic cloves into a food processor. A blender will also work. If you like, do some pre-chopping.
- Add a little more olive oil than you think, and fewer nuts than you think.
- Blend again!
- Try it. If it tastes awful, add some more of the other stuff to balance out taste and blend again.
- Add some salt and pepper if that’s your thing..
And if you’re going to save this overnight, add a little bit of lemon juice as a preservative.
Great! So what can I do with this?
Pesto goes well with lots of stuff. Try it on a salad, to start. You can also try making awesome pesto burgers, or maybe even pesto pizza!