Following in the footsteps of yesterday’s avocado article, I sought out some interesting ways to prepare avocados.
This recipe for avocado fries comes from the Circle B Kitchen.
- Canola oil for frying
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-in. wedges
- Grated parmesan for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 in. oil until it registers 375° on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, mix flour with 1/2 tsp. salt in a shallow plate. Put eggs and panko in separate shallow plates.
- Sprinkle the avocado slices with the remaining ½ tsp salt. Dip each slice in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then panko to coat. Set on 2 plates in a single layer.
- Fry a quarter of avocado slices at a time until deep golden, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer slices to a plate lined with paper towels. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining avocados. Sprinkle with salt and a little grated parmesan.
I haven’t tried to make these yet but will so in the near future (a video will definitely be involved).
If you’d like to try something new with avocados, but don’t feel right about frying them, you could also consider grilling those butter pears.